If you have a home to sell before you can purchase your new home, here are the steps you’ll need to follow.
First things first –
Meet With Your Realtor
- Contact your Realtor and request a Competitive Market Analysis (CMA). This will help you determine how much money you will have to pay for your existing mortgage (or mortgages) as well as your closing costs. This process determines your “net” proceeds from your sale.
Call your Mortgage Professional
- Contact your Loan Professional to be pre-qualified for your new mortgage. This process will determine the amount of money you will use from your “net” proceeds.
- If you need to sell your current home to qualify for your next home – it’s time to call your Realtor and tell them to put that sign in your yard!
- Now is a good time to consider looking at homes that could meet your needs and price range once your home sells. A lot of people do not want to put their home on the market until they know there is somewhere for them to go.
Stage Your Current Home to Sell
- Don’t forget to heed the advice of your Realtor in regards to staging and presenting your home for sale.
Check out www.judyhicks.com for more information on what to do to sell your home. Look for future blogpost on what to do when your home sells and you are ready to buy.
Sometimes just the thought of preparing to show your home is overwhelming. Often we build it up in our minds and think it will take “forever” when it will actually only take a few minutes. These 10 things will be a fifteen minutes well spent because you want your home to show well.
- Put the dishes in the dishwasher (or better yet quickly wash the dishes and put them away).
- Make the beds.
- Wipe down all counters.
- Empty all trash cans.
- Hide dirty clothes and toys (put a clean towel over the baskets to help eliminate odors).
- Make sure the front door and walk way are swept clean.
- Run a quick vacuum and sweep floors (if you have wood or tile floors-Swifter works very well).
- Turn on all lights, open the blinds and turn on calming music.
- Leave the house and take the pets with you.
- Smile…your home will be SOLD soon!
See, the last two aren’t that difficult are they? I’m often asked what is one the best things to do to make a home shine, I can tell you without hesitation clean windows inside and outside (Simple Green is excellent and almost always dries streak free) will be most helpful.
Happy home selling!